An alleged illegal immigrant charged with allegedly molesting girl, 8

CHAMBERSBURG – An alleged illegal immigrant is in jail, accused of molesting an 8-year-old girl multiple times over the course of a year.

Rogelio Dionicio-Reyes, 21, of 250 S. Third St., Chambersburg, allegedly touched the child sexually as recently as May 19, according to charging documents filed by Chambersburg Police with Magisterial District Judge Glenn Manns.

 

Dionicio-Reyes was arrested Monday and arraigned on the charges Tuesday morning, according to online court records. He was placed in Franklin County Jail in lieu of $200,000 bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday in Franklin County Central Court.

 

A jail representative said Dionicio-Reyes was being held there on a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainer. Charging documents state that his native country is Mexico.

 

A woman called police Monday to report that Dionicio-Reyes had sexually assaulted her daughter, according to the affidavit. The girl told police that he touched her inappropriately on several occasions. Her 11-year-old brother also reported that he witnessed one of the incidents.

 

In that case, Dionicio-Reyes allegedly went into a room where the two children were and told the boy to leave and wash the dishes. After the boy left the room, Dionicio-Reyes allegedly began touching the girl and carried her into another room.

 

The boy told police that he walked into the room and saw Dionicio-Reyes on top of the girl, holding her arms over her head. They were both wearing clothing, but Dionicio-Reyes was allegedly trying to remove the girl’s clothes.

 

Police read Dionicio-Reyes his rights and interviewed him about the allegations, according to the affidavit. He allegedly confirmed what the boy had seen and admitted to touching the girl sexually in November.

 

He is charged with two counts of indecent assault of a person younger than 13, a third-degree felony.


Carjacker pleads guilty to attack of elderly woman at Tabernacle store

Roy Patterson

MOUNT HOLLY — A Shamong man pleaded guilty Tuesday to robbery and the violent carjacking of an elderly woman in the parking lot of a Tabernacle grocery store last year.

Roy C. Patterson Jr., 36, a previously convicted felon, admitted that he pulled the Southampton woman, who was 77 at the time, from her car and slammed her to the pavement during the June 15, 2011, attack in the Murphy’s Market lot on Medford Lakes-Tabernacle Road.

The negotiated plea calls for Patterson to serve 25 years in state prison, with no chance of parole until he serves more than 21 years, according to the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office. Superior Court Judge Jeanne T. Covert, who accepted Patterson’s plea to robbery and carjacking, will sentence him Sept. 7.

After throwing the woman to the ground, Patterson backed her vehicle out of the parking spot with the passenger-side door open and struck the victim, who was already seriously hurt, authorities said.

The woman was treated at Virtua Memorial in Mount Holly.

The random attack was witnessed by others in the lot and was captured on surveillance videotape, the New Jersey State Police said at the time. The eyewitnesses and the video footage helped the state police identify Patterson as the assailant, authorities said.

Patterson told the judge he initially fought with and grabbed the keys of another Murphy’s Market patron, a 32-year-old Medford man, before turning his attention to the woman. He acknowledged that after the carjacking, he was headed to Camden to get drugs, authorities said.

Patterson never made it to the city, crashing the victim’s car in Somerdale, Camden County. He attempted to flee the scene but was apprehended by police. Patterson has been in Burlington County Jail since his arrest on $350,000 bail. He will remain in county custody until his sentencing, at which time he will be transferred to state prison.

Because of his criminal record, Patterson will be sentenced as a persistent offender, Burlington County Assistant Prosecutor Stephen Bodnar said. He has four previous convictions, including robbery and drug possession, according to state records.

New Jersey Department of Corrections records show he recently served two stints in prison, for six months between September 2008 and March 2009 and for seven months between June 2009 and January 2010.

Questions remain about why naked man on Miami causeway tried to rip flesh off another man’s face

Only the police tape, the bloodstain on the ground and a grotesque mystery remained Sunday after the brutal attack on the MacArthur Causeway in which one naked man was shot dead by police after he attacked another naked man and began eating his face.

Drivers coming back from Miami Beach on the causeway took their feet off the gas, bike riders slowed down and dog walkers stopped to look at the scene of Saturday afternoon’s macabre assault, which generated international headlines.

They didn’t see much. The scene had been cleaned up

Security video from the adjacent Miami Herald building captured snippets of the violence on the MacArthur’s off-ramp to Biscayne Boulevard as the two men — one dead, the other gravely injured — lay on the sidewalk as scores of officers arrived.

The victim remained Sunday at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center. In addition to eating the man’s flesh, his attacker, according to police sources, tried to gouge out his eyes. Neither was identified Sunday, and the name of the officer who killed the attacker was not released.

But that didn’t stop people from talking, wondering and offering up their own theories.

Police said it all began about 2 p.m. Saturday when a Road Ranger spotted the men and shouted on his loudspeaker for the attacker to back away. Meanwhile, a woman also saw what was happening flagged down an officer.

One witness, Larry Vega, told WSVN-Fox 7 he was riding his bicycle on the MacArthur when he saw a man tearing off pieces of the victim’s flesh with his mouth.

“I told him to get off,” Vega told the station, “and the guy just kept eating the other guy away.”

Vega said he found a police officer, who approached and told the attacker to get off the man.

“The guy just stood, his head up like that, with pieces of flesh in his mouth,” Vega said. “And he growled.”

The officer fired, striking the attacker, but the man kept chewing, Vega said. The officer fired again, hitting him several more times, eventually killing him.

After that, Vega said, all he saw was blood.

“It’s one of the most gruesome things I’ve ever seen in my life in person,” he told the station.

Under the causeway’s bridge Sunday, in the area near the attack populated by homeless people, a sheltered space was littered with cardboard mats, syringes and broken bottles. A man who called himself “Rio” stood near the off-ramp, about 100 feet from the crime scene, holding a sign that read “homeless please help.”

Rio said he wasn’t the only person who hung around the area. But Saturday, when he was there, he didn’t see anyone else. He was napping, Rio said, when the chaos began.

“A police officer woke me up and told me I was in the middle of a crime scene,” Rio said.

On the other side of the causeway, near the eastbound lanes, another man who gave only his first name, Andres, was returning to his usual spot after showering and having a warm meal at a Miami church, he said.

“In my experience, I don’t see crack or anything like that around here,” he said.

But drugs remained part of the conversation. Saturday, police theorized that the attacker might have suffered from “cocaine psychosis,” a drug-induced craze that bakes the body internally and often leads those it affects to strip naked to try to cool off.

Other theories abounded, of course, sometimes leading to comparisons to one horror-movie staple, zombies.

And though it may have happened in Miami, others elsewhere weighed in.

Sean Newell wrote on the popular sports blog, Deadspin: “This kind of crazy only happens in Florida.”

Growing minority populations creating discomfort

W hite babies are no longer a majority of new births, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. America is quietly “browning,” it is said, like dinner rolls in a warm oven. Yet such change does not come about without resistance from those who prefer to remain unbaked.

White supremacist groups have been having a “meltdown,” says Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups. In an ABC News report, he called the demographic trend “the single most important driver in the growth of hate groups and extremist groups over the last few years.”

To the haters and the racially paranoid, even President Barack Obama’s historic election is just one more piece of mounting evidence that whites are losing their majority in America’s population. The Census Bureau now expects the nation will have no racial majority in 2042.

Two opposing visions shape our national debate about this demographic development, which largely has been driven by immigration trends. One fears that dramatic cultural change will tear the nation apart. The more hopeful view sees our younger generations, unburdened by historical baggage, leading America to a transformative integrated and post-racial era.

The truth probably lies between those two scenarios. Today’s immigrants are assimilating over time in much the same way as earlier generations, driven by the traditional American dream of opportunity and upward mobility. But I don’t expect ethno-cultural differences to lose all value.

America’s traditional melting pot always has been more of a mulligan stew, balancing respect for ethnic traditions with a sense of common purpose. Our challenge for the future, as in the past, is how we can make that stew work for everybody and keep it from boiling over.

The element of race adds a new complication to assimilation in a country that seldom has undertaken racial change easily. As much as Americans have benefited from a national identity that is based on ideas – not a single racial or ethnic tribe – white supremacy was embedded in law for most of our history. Every naturalization act from 1790 to 1952 included language that reserved citizenship to a “white person,” although standards as to who is considered “white” constantly have changed.

Even today, slightly more than half of those who checked “Hispanic” for ethnicity on the 2010 census forms also checked “white” for race. To the census, you are whatever you say you are, even if others see something different when they look at you.

Still, the question of who can melt in today’s melting pot rings alarm bells for some who long for a more monocultural past. An unhappy blogger who identifies himself as “Roger” laments in a post on Phyllis Schlafly‘s Eagle Forum website that “the USA is being transformed by immigrants” who “have high rates of illiteracy, illegitimacy and gang crime, and they will vote Democrat when the Democrats promise them more food stamps.”

Roger’s narrative runs quite the opposite of historical realities. Most immigrants are known for working long hours in rough conditions for low wages, driven by hope for a better life, including a good education for their children.

And their social conservatism on issues such as abortion, gay marriage, school prayer and capital punishment tends to be closer to Schlafly than Obama. Rising Republican stars such as Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida show that immigrant ambitions don’t have to lead to the Democratic Party.

But Roger is hardly alone in his discomfort with change – and not all of the uncomfortable folks are white. Former District of Columbia Mayor Marion Barry, now a City Council member, offered a recent example. He apologized for his “admittedly bad choice of words” in suggesting in earlier public remarks that Asian business owners in his ward “ought to go.”

Obviously, the landscape is changing for us black folks, too. As we gain some measure of power in the melting pot, our victim rhetoric must change too.

In fact, if anyone should be concerned about helping white Americans adjust to becoming a minority, it is African-Americans. We have lots of experience.

Miami officer shoots, kills naked attacker

A Miami police officer on Saturday fatally shot a naked man who was chewing on the face of another man on a downtown causeway off-ramp, police and witnesses said.

The Miami Herald reports (http://hrld.us/KiMC2Y) that gunshots were heard at about 2 p.m. on the MacArthur Causeway off-ramp, which is near the newspaper‘s offices. Witnesses said that a woman saw two men fighting and flagged down a police officer, who came upon a naked man mauling the other man. The newspaper quoted witnesses as saying that the officer ordered the naked man to back away, and when he ignored the demand, the officer shot him. Witnesses said that the naked man continued his attack after being shot once, and the officer shot him several more times.

Police said the other man was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital Ryder Trauma Center. The newspaper said he had suffered critical injuries.

The police department confirmed in a news release that there was an officer-related shooting, but did not include many details provided by witnesses to the newspaper.

A police spokesman couldn’t be reached for comment by The Associated Press on Saturday evening.

The police news release said the identities of the two men were not known.

A photograph posted on The Herald’s website shows an officer standing watch on the ramp next to two police cruisers, with a body lying on a pedestrian walkway. Police requested the newspaper’s video surveillance tapes.

The shooting and investigation tied up causeway traffic as crowds were arriving at South Beach for an annual hip-hop festival.

Javier Ortiz, a spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police in Miami, said that based on information he’s received, the officer who fired the shots “is a hero and saved a life.

Feds forced to release list of words used to monitor online speech

Pork. Cloud. Mexico. Exercise. Screening. Response. I have just given the U.S. Department of Homeland Security seven good reasons to investigate this article and its author.

The Daily Mail notes that a Freedom Of Information Act request has forced DHS to publicize a list of keywords it uses to monitor social networking sites and online media for signs of terrorist or other threats against the U.S.

complete list of the terms (which include Department of Homeland Security andsocial media) can be found here, as well as in the department’s 2011 Analyst’s Desktop Binder, which has also been made public via the FOIA request—or mostly public anyway. The version available via the above link contains some redactions.

According to the Mail, “analysts are instructed to search for evidence of unfolding natural disasters, public health threats and serious crimes such as mall/school shootings, major drug busts, illegal immigrant busts.”

The FOIA request was filed by the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a watchdog group that described the list in a letter to the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Counter-terrorism and Intelligence as “broad, vague and ambiguous.”

EPIC made the cast that the items include “vast amounts of First Amendment protected speech that is entirely unrelated to the Department of Homeland Security mission to protect the public against terrorism and disasters.”

I can see the group’s point. It is hard to fathom how words like aid, relief, or wave could be used to help agents tighten the noose on prospective terrorists. Then again, what do I know about SCREENING. Whoops, there I go again.