31 illegal immigrants arrested in countywide ICE sweep

Federal authorities arrested 31 people, including nearly two dozen illegal immigrants, in San Diego County during an operation targeting criminal immigrants last week, according to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Sixteen of the 31 individuals arrested were North County residents, according to ICE. The arrests took place in Chula Vista, El Cajon, Encinitas, Escondido, La Mesa, Oceanside, San Diego, San Marcos and Vista.

The three-day operation, which ended Friday, was conducted by ICE as part of the agency’s efforts to prioritize the deportation of criminal illegal immigrants and illegal immigrants who have been deported before, officials said.

“(ICE) is committed to working hard to make our communities safer by arresting and removing convicted criminal aliens and those who blatantly ignore their deportation orders without regard for our nation’s laws,” said Robin Baker, field director for ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations in San Diego.

Among those arrested was a 51-year-old Mexican man, whose name was not released, convicted of committing lewd and lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14, according to ICE. He is facing deportation, officials said.

Another man arrested during the operation was a 55-year-old Mexican man with a criminal history that includes domestic violence, drunken driving, theft and possession of a controlled substance, according to ICE. He was deported to Mexico last week, officials said.

The 25 men and six women arrested during the operation include foreign nationals from three countries; Mexico, Guatemala and Russia.

Of those arrested during the operation, 23 were illegal immigrants with prior criminal convictions whose crimes included sex crimes, domestic violence, embezzlement and possession of narcotics, officials said.

The group also included five immigration fugitives with outstanding orders of deportation and 18 previously deported illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigrant permits could cost $585 million

The Obama administration’s new plan to grant temporary work permits to many young, illegal immigrants who otherwise could be deported may cost more than $585 million and require hiring hundreds of new federal employees to process more than 1 million anticipated requests, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The Homeland Security Department plans, marked “not for distribution,” describe steps that immigrants will need to take — including a $465 paperwork fee designed to offset the program’s cost — and how the government will manage it. Illegal immigrants can request permission to stay in the country under the plan by filing a document, “Request for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals,” and simultaneously apply for a work permit starting Aug. 15.

Under the new program, which President Barack Obama announced last month, eligible immigrants must have arrived in the U.S. before their 16th birthday, are 30 or younger, have been living here at least five years, are in school or graduated or served in the military. They also must not have a criminal record or otherwise pose a safety threat. They can apply to stay in the country and be granted a work permit for two years, but they would not be granted citizenship.

The internal government plans obtained by the AP provide the first estimates of costs, how many immigrants were expected to participate and how long it might take for them. It was not immediately clear whether or under which circumstances any immigrants would not be required to pay the $465 paperwork fee.

The plans said there would be no waivers, but Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told Congress last week that the government would grant waivers “in very deserving cases.”

“We anticipate that this will be a fee-driven process,” Napolitano said.

Fee waivers could dramatically affect the government’s share of the cost. The plans said that, depending on how many applicants don’t pay, the government could lose between $19 million and $121 million. Republican critics pounced on that.

“By lowering the fee or waiving it altogether for illegal immigrants, those who play by the rules will face delays and large backlogs as attention is diverted to illegal immigrants,” said House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas. “American taxpayers should not be forced to bail out illegal immigrants and President Obama’s fiscally irresponsible policies.”

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services estimated it could receive more than 1 million applications during the first year of the program, or more than 3,000 per day.

It would cost between $467 million and $585 million to process applications in the first two years of the program, with revenues from fees paid by immigrants estimated at $484 million, according to the plans. That means the cost to the government could range from a gain of $16 million to a loss of more than $101 million.

Illegal immigrant jailed over rape

Drug-dealing rapist Joachim Cardos was in the UK illegally

AN illegal immigrant has been jailed for 11 years after raping a marketing executive in a knife-point sex ordeal.

 

African Joachim Cardos threatened to kill his victim as he brutally attacked her and forced her to carry out sex acts before she managed to flee.

Following the verdict his defence team said he was “almost certain” to be deported, and said they could think of no grounds to appeal against that.

Judge Lord Hardie told Cardos at the High Court in Edinburgh: “The evidence disclosed a violent and persistent attack upon a defenceless young woman for your sexual gratification.”

The judge added: “It was apparent from her testimony that the effects of your conduct have been devastating.

“Your victim was repeatedly threatened with a knife, threatened with being killed and she was raped.

“She genuinely thought she was going to die. Her life has changed and she no longer feels safe.”

He said Cardos had been assessed as a high risk of sexual reoffending and of posing a danger to women.

Lord Hardie jailed Cardos for eight years for the rape and a further three years for peddling cannabis.

The court heard he was selling the drug for 22 months to earn money as he could not seek legitimate work because of his immigration status.

The judge also ordered that he be kept under supervision for a further four years, but added that might be academic if Cardos was deported.

Cardos, 32, from Gambia, had denied raping the woman at his flat in Edinburgh on October 22 last year, but was earlier convicted of the crime by a jury.

The judge had earlier said that any issue over deporting Cardos was a matter for the Home Secretary.

His 26-year old victim said she had gone to his flat in the city’s Dalry Road and bought two bags of cannabis, but as she got ready to leave he tried to kiss her, then grabbed her and shoved her into a 
bedroom.

The woman told the court: “I could just see his eyes widen and his nose flare. It just looked like an angry face.

“He said he was going to kill me. He said to me: ‘Do you know how many people I have killed?’”

Defence solicitor advocate Jim Keegan QC said he considered it a certainty that Cardos would be deported.

Illegal immigrant in Brownwood charged with fondling girl

An illegal immigrant living in Brownwood is in custody in the Brown County Jail for allegedly fondling a girl younger than 14, according to Brownwood police.

Felipe Lopez, 26, was charged early Tuesday with one count each of indecency with child by sexual contact, burglary of habitation with intent to commit a sexual offense, and evading arrest.

Bonds totaling $110,000 were set, but Lopez won’t be released because he is an illegal immigrant.

The alleged indecency incident happened Monday, police reported.

According to police, the girl’s mother confronted Lopez Tuesday at his residence. Lt. Tracy Delgado said police were called to a disturbance there because an argument ensued.

When officers arrived, Lopez ducked out the back door and evaded police for three hours before being caught several blocks away, Delgado said.

Illegal immigrant sex offender sentenced for third return to U.S.

An illegal immigrant who was deported on two occasions after he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl in Montgomery County, only to return to the area, was sentenced to more than four years in prison as a dangerous criminal alien after being busted for drunk driving.

Dagoberto Tiznado, 33, will be deported for a third time once he finishes his time behind bars, officials said. Tiznado was sentenced in federal court in Maryland to 50 months in prison on a charge of illegally re-entering the United States as a convicted criminal alien.

Calvin McCormick, of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in Maryland, said the prosecution of Tiznado was part of ICE’s effort to “target criminal aliens who put public safety at risk.”

Last month, an illegal immigrant in Prince George’s County who had been deported twice was charged with first-degree murder for a 1981 killing in Texas.

But anti-illegal immigration groups say the Tiznado case demonstrates the high costs and poor results of a porous U.S. border and ineffective immigration system.

“It’s just a revolving door,” said Brad Botwin, of Help Save Maryland.

In 1997, Tiznado, of El Salvador, was convicted in Montgomery County of fondling a 12-year-old girl in the laundry room of his apartment building, then taking her back to his room and trying to have sex with her, court documents said.

He was deported from the United States in 1998, but soon returned to Maryland. He was arrested by ICE agents in Ellicott City, Md. in 2002, and sentenced to nearly four years in prison for illegally re-entering the U.S. He was shipped back to El Salvador in 2005.

It’s unclear when he returned to Maryland, but in September 2011, he was pulled over for drunk driving in Ellicott City.

He had no license, no registration for the vehicle he was driving and failed sobriety tests, police said.

Tiznado’s true identity was discovered in the Howard County jail as part of the ICE criminal alien program. He was taken into ICE custody.

In jail, fingerprint evidence confirmed that he was a convicted sex offender who had twice been deported.

An alleged illegal immigrant charged with allegedly molesting girl, 8

CHAMBERSBURG – An alleged illegal immigrant is in jail, accused of molesting an 8-year-old girl multiple times over the course of a year.

Rogelio Dionicio-Reyes, 21, of 250 S. Third St., Chambersburg, allegedly touched the child sexually as recently as May 19, according to charging documents filed by Chambersburg Police with Magisterial District Judge Glenn Manns.

 

Dionicio-Reyes was arrested Monday and arraigned on the charges Tuesday morning, according to online court records. He was placed in Franklin County Jail in lieu of $200,000 bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday in Franklin County Central Court.

 

A jail representative said Dionicio-Reyes was being held there on a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainer. Charging documents state that his native country is Mexico.

 

A woman called police Monday to report that Dionicio-Reyes had sexually assaulted her daughter, according to the affidavit. The girl told police that he touched her inappropriately on several occasions. Her 11-year-old brother also reported that he witnessed one of the incidents.

 

In that case, Dionicio-Reyes allegedly went into a room where the two children were and told the boy to leave and wash the dishes. After the boy left the room, Dionicio-Reyes allegedly began touching the girl and carried her into another room.

 

The boy told police that he walked into the room and saw Dionicio-Reyes on top of the girl, holding her arms over her head. They were both wearing clothing, but Dionicio-Reyes was allegedly trying to remove the girl’s clothes.

 

Police read Dionicio-Reyes his rights and interviewed him about the allegations, according to the affidavit. He allegedly confirmed what the boy had seen and admitted to touching the girl sexually in November.

 

He is charged with two counts of indecent assault of a person younger than 13, a third-degree felony.


Drunk illegal immigrant kills couple after sneaking back into country

Molodovan Eduard Mereohra was jailed for nine years following the deaths of David and Dorothy Metcalf but he should not have even been in the country in the first place.

The couple’s children last night attacked the immigration system after it emerged Mereohra had been deported as an illegal immigrant in 2009 but had managed to sneak back in.

The judge called for an investigation after the 26-year-old even obtained a National Insurance number and work permit despite being in the country illegally.

The family’s MP is now writing to the Home Secretary demanding action and officials from the UK Border Agency are to meet with relatives.

Mereohra crashed his Volvo C70 into the Metcalf’s Fiat Panda on New Year’s Day after a “prolonged, persistent and deliberate course of very bad driving”, Leeds Crown Court heard.

The force of the impact was so strong the Fiat, driven by 68-year-old Mr Metcalf, flew 10ft in the air and flipped end over end.

Mr Metcalf was thrown from the car on to a grass bank, where he died. Mrs Metcalf, 65, died soon after in hospital.

Mereohra fled the scene but was stopped by a bystander and held until police arrived. He then tried to blame the incident on Mr Metcalf.

The court heard he was nearly twice the drink-drive limit at the time of the crash after being at a party the night before.

Mereohra had entered the country illegally in October 2008 and applied for asylum the following September 2009.

He was deported three months later but, at some stage, was able to return without notice.

In a family statement after the case, the couple’s son, Clive, said: “While we hold Mereohra responsible for his actions, we feel that our beloved mum and dad would still be alive today if the system had not failed by allowing him to be at liberty in the UK.

“We have been told that he is sorry, but we simply cannot accept that as a genuine apology.

“He chose to come to this country illegally, he chose to drink all night and get behind the wheel of his car, he chose to drive erratically and at extremely high speed, weaving in and out of traffic, he chose to flee the scene of this horrific incident and denied being the driver and refused to be tested for alcohol.

“Given those circumstances, we think the only thing he is sorry about is that he was caught.”

Judge Geoffrey Marson QC said he hoped the relevant authorities would investigate how Mereohra was able to obtain an NI number and work permit despite twice entering the country illegally.

He told the defendant: “You had been drinking heavily throughout the night and early in the morning of that dreadful day.

“You were described as being very drunk. There then followed a prolonged, persistent and deliberate course of very bad driving.

“Your motor car was a weapon achieving a speed of some 90-100mph.

“You did almost everything you could to protect yourself.”

Leeds North West Lib Dem MP Greg Mulholland said: “I will be writing to the Home Secretary, calling on her to instigate a cross-departmental investigation into this case, so that this never happens again and no family has to go through what the Metcalfs have.”

Mereohra was jailed for nine years after pleaded guilty to two counts of death by dangerous driving.

A UK Border Agency spokesman said he will be deported at the end of his sentence.